The Year of 1952 (I was 25 years old)
What was happening in the World:
- Communist East Germany erects the Berlin Wall to stop mass migration to the West.
- King George VI dies and Queen Elizabeth II becomes queen at age 25 – my age.
- The British Army is battling the Mau Mau uprisings in Kenya in a last-ditch effort to hold one of its last remaining colonies.
- Albert Einstein is offered the Presidency of the new state of Israel but he declines.
- Humanitarian Albert Schweitzer wins the Nobel Prize
What was happening in the USA:
- Former war hero Dwight Eisenhower defeats Adlai Stevenson to become president.
- Joe McCarthy, as a purger of Communists, is rapidly losing his popularity.
- The first color TV goes on sale.
- The first air-conditioned car is offered to the public.
- The first atomic submarine is launched.
- The Jack Benny Show is #1 on radio.
What was happening in California:
- The state's 2nd largest earthquake hits Southern California killing 11 people.
What was happening in Sports:
- In the Rose Bowl, it was Illinois 40 – Stanford 7.
- In the World Series, the Yankees beat Brooklyn 4 games to 3.
- In the NFL championship game it was Detroit 17 - Cleveland 7.
- The Heisman Trophy went to Billy Vessels of Oklahoma.
- The national champ of College Football was Michigan State.
- The national champ of College Basketball was Kansas.
- The NBA champion was Minneapolis.
- Rocky Marciano wins the Heavyweight Title.
- Ray Robinson KOs Rocky Graziano and then retires from boxing.
What was happening at the Movies:
- Best movie was Greatest Show on Earth.
- Best actor was Gary Cooper in High Noon.
- Best actress was Shirley Booth in Come Back Little Sheba.
- Other great movies were:
- King and I (Yul Bryner)
- Streetcar Named Desire (Marlon Brando)
- Snows of Kilimanjaro (Gregory Peck - I saw the mountain 34 years later)
- Viva Zapata (Marlon Brando)
Memorable songs were:
- In the Still of the Night
- Green eyes
- Oh What a Beautiful Morning (Johnny Mercer)
- Your Cheating Heart
What was happening in my life:
- John Kalousdian and I began our weekend visits to Sacramento to visit the girls at the Marshall Hotel at 7th and L streets. The three I remember best were: Bobbie (the cutest), her girlfriend Lorna, and Angie - the little Mexican gal whose husband was in prison. These were memorable days.
- Kalousdian and I would also drink a lot. He was a Scotch man, and I stuck to Whiskey Sours. I remember one "hangover" morning when neither of us could touch our food at breakfast after a night of heavy drinking.
- We would often have a Tamale Dinner at the Coffee Shop of the Hotel Berry – they were very good. In 1993 (41 years later) the hotel and coffee shop were still there.
- I remember another Air Force buddy named Norm Rearick whose girlfriend worked at the Crest Theatre on K Street. He was a loud aggressive little guy and he got me my first blind date back at the base.
- My illustrative work at the Comptroller's office began to pay off. I even made a silkscreen cover in color for the monthly Comptroller Digest. One of my immediate supervisors (Lt. Ray Seal) took an interest in me and I got a letter-of-appreciation from the Wing Commander. I was soon promoted to Airman 1st Class.
<---- What was happening in 1951
What was happening in 1953 ---->
California State Capitol
Heading to Sacramento on the Greyhound bus with Kalousdian for a weekend of debauchery became a weekly routine.
The Old Californian Hotel
Another “den of iniquity”. It was torn down in 1990 to make way for a new library.
The Marshall Hotel
Located at 7th and L Streets where we met the girls. My favorite was Bobbie.
Hotel Berry in Sacramento
The coffee shop in the Hotel Berry Where Kalousdian and I often had great Tamale dinners.
Below is some of my work from my days in the Comproller's Office at Travis AFB.
Comptroller Digest at Travis AFB
A primary mission of the Comptroller Office was publishing the Comptroller Digest. It was a compilation of statistics involved in running an air base. My job was to use my illustrative skills to enhance the presentation of the statistics – I did very well at the job.
Another Cover for the Comptroller Digest at Travis AFB
An extraordinary collection of photographs
Fishing Baja 2000
Fishing the Sea of Cortez off Cerralvo Island
© 2014 memoir stream, inc. - all rights reserved