The Year of 1950 (I was 23 years old)
What was happening in the world:
- The Korean "police action" begins as the North invades the South. This happened right after I enlisted in the USAF.
- Truman assigns General MacArthur to head forces that will defend South Korea. North Korea retreats back across the border, but then Red China enters the war and U.N. losses are heavy.
- Mahatma Gandhi's killer is hung in India.
- Sukarno is elected 1st president of a free Indonesia.
- Riots begin in South Africa against the Apartheid government.
- Egypt tells Britain to remove all its troops from the Suez Canal.
What was happening in the USA:
- Puerto Rican fanatics try to assassinate Truman while he was living at the Blair House.
- Truman orders development of the Hydrogen Bomb when Soviets detonate an Atomic Bomb.
- TV is rapidly replacing Radio as America's #1 family entertainment.
- Joe McCarthy is at the height of his popularity as a "purger" of communists.
- Al Jolson dies at age 63.
- Charles Shultz publishes the Peanuts comic strip for the first time.
What was happening in California:
- In San Francisco, the west coast labor boss Harry Bridges is given a 5-year sentence for communist involvements.
What was happening in sports:
- In the Rose Bowl, it was Ohio State 17 - California 14.
- In the World Series, it was the Yankees over Philadelphia 4 games to 0 games.
- In the NFL Championship Game, it was Cleveland 30 – L.A. Rams 28.
- The Heisman Trophy went to Vic Janowicz of Ohio State.
- The national champions of College Football was Oklahoma.
- The national champions of College Basketball was City College of N.Y.
- The NBA champion was Minneapolis.
What was happening at the movies:
- Best movie was All About Eve.
- Best actor was Jose Ferrer in Cyrano de Bergerac.
- Best actress was Judy Holiday in Born Yesterday.
- Other great movies were:
- Treasure Island (Robert Newton)
- Halls of Montezuma (Richard Widmark)
- Twelve O’clock High (Gregory Peck)
- Broken Arrow (James Steward)
Memorable songs were:
- Mona Lisa (Nat Cole) - I heard it for the first time on a pier in Biloxi.
- Tennessee Waltz (Patti Page)
- Night and Day
- Danny Boy
What was happening in my life:
- On February 23, I made a major change in my life - enlisted in the U.S. Air Force for 4 years. I was trying to find myself, and the results were both good and bad.
- I was sent back to Texas for basic training - this time to Lackland Air Force Base (AFB) near San Antonio. I was at Lackland for about 6 weeks and the training was much less intense than the infantry training I'd had 5 years before at Camp Hood.
- The two things I remember most clearly about my time at Lackland were:
- Being given a battery of tests and being told I would be sent to Keesler AFB in Mississippi for training as a Radar Technician.
- Taking a weekend trip into San Antonio with some of the guys to visit the famous Alamo (I would see it again in 1987 as a “retired senior citizen”- 37 years later).
<---- What was happening in 1949
What was happening in 1951 ---->
Heading for trouble at Keesler AFB ---->
When I enlisted in the USAF for 4 years, I was sent to Lackland in Texas for 6 weeks of basic training.
Some buddies and I visited here while we were stationed at Lackland.
San Antonio, Texas
Lackland is about 10 miles from downtown.
An extraordinary collection of photographs
Fishing Baja 2000
Fishing the Sea of Cortez off Cerralvo Island
© 2014 memoir stream, inc. - all rights reserved