The Year of 1947 (I was 20 years old)
What was happening in the World:
- There are growing hostilities between East and West as communism spreads in post-war Europe.
- Masses of persecuted Jews flee to Israel.
- A permanent site is established in New York City tor the United Nations.
- The Marshall plan is approved in order to provide massive aid to Europe.
What was happening in the USA:
- Hundreds of thousands of ex-GIs take advantage of the GI Bill to get a college education. I was one of them, but neither Bill nor Hank took advantage of it.
- PanAm airlines flies the first commercial flight around the world in 13 days.
- The March of Dimes is launched to help control Polio - it does.
- Chuck Yaeger is the first to fly faster than the speed of sound.
What was happening in Sports:
- In the Rose Bowl, it was Illinois 45 - UCLA 14.
- In the World Series, it was the Yankees over the Brooklyn Dodgers 4 games to 3.
- In the NFL Championship game it was Chicago 28 - Philadelphia 21.
- The Heisman Trophy went to Johnny Lujack of Notre Dame.
- The national championship of College Football was Notre Dame.
- The national championship of College Basketball was Holy Cross.
- Joe Louis beats Joe Walcott to retain his title.
What was happening at the movies:
- Best movie was Gentlemen’s Agreement.
- Best actor was William Powell in Life with Father.
- Best actress was Loretta Young in Farmer’s Daughter.
- Other great movies were:
- Ride the Pink Horse (Robert Montgomery)
- It’s a Wonderful Life (James Steward)
- Forever Amber
Memorable Songs were:
- I Don't Worry Because it Makes No Difference Now
- Big Rock Candy Mountain (Burl Ives)
- Down in the Valley
- Rambling Rose (Nat Cole)
What was happening in my life:
- I enrolled at the California College of Arts and Crafts (CCAC) in a Commercial Art course under the GI Bill. I was living at home with my family in Oakland after being discharged.
- With funds I saved while I was in the Army, I bought my first car - a 1933 Model-A Ford Coupe. The first thing I did was paint it a two-tone brown.
- Next, I got my first job as a Library Page in the main library at 14th and Grove Streets. It appeared I was well on my way to becoming a mature adult.
- Unfortunately, I soon developed problems. I thought I wanted to find a girl and get married, but on the other hand I had a lot of insecurities about doing this.
- In my first semester at CCAC, I did very well. Some of the things I remember about it were:
- My two buddies (Chuck McDonald, an ex-sailor, who was a real riot to be around) and (Walt Riddel, an ex-merchant marine, who was older and more mature). Chuck lived in San Leandro and Walt in Alameda. They didn't have cars, so I gave them a ride home each day after school.
- There was another friend named Larry who played the saxophone in a band and was a big Stan Kenton fan.
- I developed a crush on a little blonde named Patty and this didn't help my emotional life any.
- Chuck had a "semi-crush" on a gal named Barbara. She had jet black hair and very blue eyes—a real stunning combination.
< ----What was happening in 1946
What was happening in 1948 ---->
My time at Arts and Crafts in
Oakland, CA ---->
Dad, Rich, and I at Cypress Hill Cemetery
We often went to the cemetery to "visit" our ancestors. It was a good way to remember and learn about them at the same time. Dad always wore his suit. It was during one of these visits that Dad told me that it was important to him that our line of the Morris name continue on. I was 20 years old at the time and confused about whether I wanted a family of my own or if I wanted to spend my life doing my own thing - I eventually chose the latter.
The California College of Arts and Crafts (above and below)
I enrolled to begin pursuing a career in Commercial Art. Art had always been my 1st love and strong point.
The Main Library at 14th and Grove in San Francisco
I got my first job as a part-time page here and for a while, it appeared as if I was on my way in life.
1933 Ford Model-A Coupe
A model just like the one I had.
An extraordinary collection of photographs
Fishing Baja 2000
Fishing the Sea of Cortez off Cerralvo Island
© 2014 memoir stream, inc. - all rights reserved