The Year of 1946 (I was 19 years old)
What was happening in the world:
- At the War Crimes Trial in Nuremberg, Goering commits suicide and Ribbentrop is hung.
- There is violence in Asia as three countries begin their fight for independence:
- Sukarno against the Dutch in Indonesia
- Ho Chi Minh against the French in Vietnam
- Gandhi against the British in India
- Mao and Kai-shek are battling for control of China.
- Stalin is moving to consolidate communist gains in Eastern Europe.
- Britain is in dire economic times as its former empire begins to crumble.
What was happening in the USA:
- In light of communist gains throughout the world, Truman creates the CIA.
- George Marshall proposes his plan to rebuild Europe.
- The USA grants full independence to the Philippines.
What was happening in California:
- US Marines land on Alcatraz in the San Francisco Bay to put down a prison riot.
What was happening in sports:
- In the Rose Bowl, it was Alabama 34 - USC 14.
- In the World Series, it was St. Louis over Boston 4 games to 3 games.
- In the NFL Championship game it was Chicago 24 - NY Giants 14.
- The Heisman Trophy went to Glenn Davis of Army.
- The national champion of College Football was Notre Dame.
- The national champion of College Basketball was Oklahoma.
- Joe Louis retains his title by knocking out Billy Conn in the 8th round.
What was happening at the movies:
- Best movie was Best Years of Our Lives
- Best actor was Lawrence Olivier in Henry V
- Best actress was Celia Johnson in Brief Encounter
- Other great movies were:
- Duel in the Sun (Gregory Peck)
- Blue Delhia (Allan Ladd)
- Dragonwyck (Gene Tierney)
- Sentimental Journey (the band played it for us as we came ashore back from the Pacific)
- I’ll Walk Alone
- Cruising Down the River on a Sunday Afternoon
- Zipahdee Doodah (Johnny Mercer)
- I'm sending you a big bouquet of roses (Marty Robbins)
What was happening in my life:
- On Christmas Day of 1946, we had a big family get-together. The war had been over now for over a year.
- My older brother Bill was home after being wounded in the Battle of the Bulge and back at the U.S. Post Office. After spending time on the front lines during the battle, he decided not finish at U.C. Berkeley once he returned home.
- Van was back in the "peacetime" Navy at Alameda Naval station. Hank was the only one still overseas - voluntarily. Rich was much taller than both Bill and I. Tom was 4 years old and the Cullens came up to visit over Christmas.
<---- My time in the Philippines
What was happening in 1947 ---->
I was back with the Family at our place on 19th Street. It was almost like my Army days had never happened.
Camp Beale in 1946
On December 8, I was discharged here - I was once again a free citizen.
Liberty ship at Fort Mason in San Francisco
It was similar to the one that brought me home from the war in the Pacific.
An extraordinary collection of photographs
Fishing Baja 2000
Fishing the Sea of Cortez off Cerralvo Island
© 2014 memoir stream, inc. - all rights reserved