1625 Hopkins Avenue in Oakland, California
We lived here from 1932 to 1933. We rented here and had a heck of a time getting in and out of the garage because of the heavy traffic on Hopkins.
2920 Laguna Avenue in Oakland, California
We lived here from 1930 to 1931. Dad lost the place when his Post Office salary was cut because of the Depression.
The Year of 1930 (I was 3 years old)
What was happening in the world:
- Mahatma Gandhi begins his long peaceful protest to win independence for India from British rule.
- Hailie Selassie becomes emperor of Ethiopia.
- Sonja Henie wins the world figure-skating crown.
- Constantinople becomes Istanbul
What was happening in the USA:
- The US economy was in the depths of the depression.
- Work begins on the Rockefeller Center in New York City.
- Walt Disney’s “Mickey Mouse” starts syndication as a daily strip.
- Eastern Airlines flies its first passenger flights.
What was happening in sports:
- In the Rose Bowl, it was USC 47 – Pittsburgh 14.
- In the World Series, Philadelphia wins again by beating St. Louis 4 games to 2.
- The German Max Schmeling takes the heavyweight crown from the American Jack Sharkey.
- Babe Ruth hits 9 home runs in one week.
What was happening at the movies:
- Best movie was Cimarron.
- Best actor was Lionel Barrymore in Free Soul.
- Best actress was Marie Dressler in Min and Bill.
Memorable songs were:
- I got Rhythm
- When you wish upon a star
- Tiptoe Through the Tulips with Me
What was happening in my life:
- This was the year our family moved from Rhoda Avenue to 2920 Laguna Avenue. Dad took out a 30-year mortgage on the place because Ma liked the Dimond district and she wanted her kids to go to the Sequoia school. Eleanor, Dorothy, and Bill were already going there.
- Ma’s father Benjamin Franklin died suddenly of a stroke at age 54. He and his son Ben owned and operated a butcher shop in Oakland on 13th Avenue. The only thing I remember about him was his large gold pocket watch. When he came to visit, I used to sit on his lap and play with the watch.
<---- What was happening in 1928 & 1929
What was happening in 1931 ---->
An extraordinary collection of photographs
Fishing Baja 2000
Fishing the Sea of Cortez off Cerralvo Island
More Memoirs from the 1930s by Hugh Flemming - Weston, UK
© 2014 memoir stream, inc. - all rights reserved