Dad preparing a rabbit for eating in our backyard
The Year of 1927 (The year I was born)
What was happening in the World:
- Hitler and his Nazi Party was rising to power in Germany. The world was trying to ignore him.
- Mussolini had taken control in Italy.
- On the island of Java an ancient human-like skull was found, and it was proclaimed to be the long lost "missing link" in evolution ("Java Man").
What was happening in the USA:
- Herbert Hoover was President. He dedicated the newly completed monument at Mt. Rushmore.
- Charles Lindbergh makes his historic nonstop solo flight across the Atlantic from New York to Paris.
- PanAm Airlines makes its first China Clipper flight across the Pacific.
- Henry Ford produces his first Model A Car.
- Nineteen years later in 1947 I bought one as my first car.
- The Mississippi River experiences record flooding that kills hundreds.
What was happening in California:
- The Dumbarton Bridge over the southern part of the San Francisco Bay was opened for the first time. The bridge opened for a second time in 1982 as a modernized six-lane span (see Wikipedia article on the bridge here).
What was happening in Sports:
- In the Rose Bowl it was Stanford 7 - Alabama 7.
- In the World Series the Yankees won 4 straight games to sweep Pittsburgh.
- Babe Ruth hit his historic 60 home runs in a season.
- Jack Dempsey lost the heavyweight title to Gene Tunney.
What was happening at the Movies:
- Best Movie was King of Kings with H.B. Warner.
- Best Actor was Emil Janninqs in Way of All Flesh.
- Best Actress was Janet Gaynor in Seventh Heaven.
- The first "Talkie" movie was produced (The Jazz Singer) with Al Jolson.
Memorable Songs were:
- My Blue Heaven
- Out together dancing, cheek to cheek
- Old Man River
- I’ll be loving you always
What was happening in my life:
- I was born at 4001 Rhoda Avenue in Oakland, California. I was the 6th of what was to be a family of 8 kids. The great day was January 11th. We lived on Rhoda for about 3 yrs (1926-1929).
- These were pre-depression days and times were tough. Dad worked at the Post Office to support his family of 8. Dad had the house built for him on a hillside slope that was then mostly undeveloped land. Today (67 yrs later) it is still in good shape and lived in.
- I can only remember a few things about living on Rhoda Ave:
- Dad kept goats (for milk) and rabbits (for eating). As a small child, I would watch him kill the rabbits and almost go into shock.
- This was also the place where Dad used to tell the story about Eleanor and the grapes. Our family dog would pee on the grapes, and old "Ele" would follow behind and eat them.
What was happening in 1928 ---->
4001 Rhoda Avenue in Oakland, CA
Where Robert H. Morris was born. It is now a historical monument.
© 2014 memoir stream, inc. - all rights reserved