browse memoirs by:

March 16th 1862 Sabbath

We drawed our dress suits yesterday and today. The boys have a great time trying on their new coats and pants and arguing over their suits as to the fineness thereof. The coats are dark blue and pants light blue making quite a fancy suit. We had no inspection this morning, as it looked very much like rain. I went over to the 33rd this afternoon and had a pleasant little talk with George and Will Roby. George is sick. Quite an excitement is raised to day about volunteering in the regular service. The recruiting officer offers a 30 days furlough and a bond of $25. But as for me the volunteer service is about as regular as I want it to be so I cannot think of going again. I would a little rather be at home attending to my mama. Oh, what a baby I hear you say!!

On This Page


March 14 - 18, 1862


Duncan A. Huling


A camp 3 miles south of Nashville, Tennessee


18th Ohio


Click on any of the events to be taken directly to that entry (still on this page).

A possible flag of truce bearing a letter from General Hardee.

Our whole force was ordered back to camp after the truce.

Heavy rain but I stayed dry because our tent was properly ditched.

We received our dress uniforms today - they are quite fancy.

I spent the forenoon in cleaning up my gun and blacking my cartridge box for inspection.

We started marching early and I was guarding wagons.

Page 27A from Duncan Huling's Civil War memoirs. Page 27B from Duncan Huling's Civil War memoirs. Page 28A from Duncan Huling's Civil War memoirs. Page 28B from Duncan Huling's Civil War memoirs. Page 29A from Duncan Huling's Civil War memoirs. Page 29B from Duncan Huling's Civil War memoirs.

Camp 3 miles South of Nashville

March 14th 1862 Friday

Yesterday evening we started from camp on a double quick. The detail from our Brigade was two rifle companies from each regiment making in all from our brigade 8 rifle companies. Our forces in all were 5,000 Infantry, 1,000 Cavalry, and one Battery. When we reached the out side pickets all, the infantry that could be got in the wagons were put in - one half of our company and one half of company B were left behind. So we fell a little worse bored than we ever was before. We were marched back to the first cavalry camp and took up quarters in their tents. Our troops had not gone more than two miles from the picket when they meet Captain Morgan under a flag of truce bearing a letter from General Hardee to General Buell (continued below) our forces were compelled to stop and await farther orders. In a short time the whole force was ordered back to camp. We (our company and B) took the lead and arrived about 2 o’clock. Today the rain is pouring down. It commenced raining at 10 o’clock and has not ceded 5 minutes through the day. I have passed the day in writing and reading. Our regiment had to go out today on picket, except the two rifle companies. I pity them for it is raining so hard. I wrote to Nilly to day. I expect it will be the last for I came down on her pretty hard about postage and some other things. I also wrote to Doug, but it is raining so hard that it leeks through the tent so I will have to bring this days note to a close.

Camp 3 miles south of Nashville

March 15th Saturday

Well it rained all night last night. Most of the boys in the other tents had to sit up as the water run through their tents so that they could not make a bed down. As our tent was well ditched we slept pretty comfortable. Though it leaked through some but our heavy blankets kept us dry. I have written to Mary and Chat this morning. We have been ordered to be ready to march tomorrow morning where we are going I cannot say. Well at 2 o’clock the orders came that we must furnish a corporal from this company so it falls to my luck to go on this time. It rained a good deal today but is not raining now. So I have escaped a ducking. Timmond was also detailed so we will take it turn about to night. I sleep 6 hours and he six hours.

Camp 3 miles south of Nashville

(code)17th, 62 (code)

With this day comes regimental inspection. I spent the forenoon in cleaning up my gun and blacking my cartridge box. We will appear on inspection with dress suit of course. So we will make a grand appearance I suppose!! At 2 o’clock, we appeared and went through a minute inspection of arms clothes and content of knapsacks. No fault was found as to the amount of our baggage so we were permitted to keep everything we had. This has been a very pleasant day, neither too cold nor too warm. Several of the boys in our bunk are sending their old clothes home as they have more than they can carry when we go on a march, which will be before long in all probability.

Second camp South of Nashville

March 18th, ’62 Tuesday

We were aroused from our pleasant dreams this morning very early. We soon had every thing packed up and we were ready to march. We moved off at half past 7 o’clock. Our brigade was detailed as rear guard and our regiment as wagon guards. I had command of a squad of 5 men with instruction to guard the division medicine wagon. We soon succeeded in persuading the driver to haul our knapsacks and then we went on our way rejoicing but we had a great deal of running and slow walking to do so that by evening we were very tired. We are in camp in a grove to night. We sleep with out tents to night, though it is pleasant so we slept very comfortable.

Intertidal Invertebrates
An extraordinary collection of photographs


Fishing Baja 2000
Fishing the Sea of Cortez off Cerralvo Island

baja160t pollard160

U.S. Civil War - 1862
Jessup Pollard, 28th Reg. Massachusetts

Also On This Site


Battle of the Bulge
275th Infantry, 70th Division

Next page ---- >

© 2014 memoir stream, inc. - all rights reserved